Although biryani is very commonly consumed all over India, few know what it really is and how it differs from the popular fried rice or Indian pulao.
Biryani is often prepared with the addition of vegetables – as here – or additionally with an egg (anda biryani) or chicken (chicken biryani). However, not on these additives, the dish relies, and above all on the aroma of fried spices, with which rice is then boiled.
In addition, biryani has a few other nuances, like layered preparation of the dish. However, I am limiting myself here to a simple, but original version of this dish.
Can be any vegetables. Originally for Indian rice, they are happy to add potatoes or sweet potatoes, as well as cashew nuts. If you add cashew, there are different ways to prepare them: you can stew with vegetables, or fry like onions and cook with rice – I recommend this version in person. It will perfectly match fresh green peas, celery, parsley stewed with the rest of the vegetables.
Shah jeera or black cumin can be replaced with white, or cumin, the aroma will be much heavier, less delicate.
Recipe for a vegetable biryani
|rice basmati||1 cup|
|cauliflower||2 small pieces|
|cabbage||quarter of a small head|
|green pepper||1 piecce|
|green chili||5 pieces|
|ginger||piece 2 cm long|
|any string bean||200 gram|
|Indian bay leaf||1 piece|
|cinnamon stick||2 cm in long|
|black pepper||5 seeds|
|star anise||1/2 piece|
|black cumin||1 pinch|
|red kashmir chili||1 tea spoon|
|turmeric powder||1 tea spoon|
|mustard seeds||1 spoon|
|lemon juice||1/2 piece|
|ghee / oil||for frying|
- Rinse the rice well and soak in cold water. After 30 minutes, drain the rice and put aside.
- Cut onions into thin rings, similarly green chili, grate ginger or squeeze through the press, clean the garlic and cut along.
- In a mortar – or on a board with a stone, as they do in Indian villages – crash spices: star anise, black pepper, pods of black cardamom, shah jeera.
- Heat ghee in a pot, add spices – tej patta, cinnamon stick, anise, pepper, cardamom, jeera. Fry stirring on medium heat for about 40 seconds.
- Add onions, chilli, garlic, ginger and fry until the onions will be golden.
- Add the drained rice a few chopped mint leaves and saffron stamens. Gently stir and fry for one minute on medium heat.
- Add 2.5 glasses of water, a few drops of lime juice, salt. Bring to a boil and cook the rice in a flourish. You can use a pressure pot, however, control the amount of water – absorbing water depends on the quality of rice.
- Chop the carrots into rings, cauliflower into medium pieces, beans to pieces, 2 cm long. cabbage and peppers in thin stripes.
- In a frying pan, add mustard seeds, when they start popping, add a spoon of ghee. Add the carrots and stir frequently on medium heat until yellow-golden.
- In the wok, fry the remaining vegetables. At the end of frying, add yogurt, mix. Add ground spices – red chili, turmeric and salt. Mix and cover well. Steam on a low heat in own sauce for about 6 minutes adding a few drops of water if necessary.
- Add the carrots into the wok, mix with the vegetables.
- Put the cooked rice on the vegetables. Sprinkle with chopped coriander and gently mix.
Biryani rice fits perfectly with curd, raita or sour milk.