Our first day in Kolkata

Our first day in Kolkata

We took a train to Kolkata

Our friends, owners of the house we were renting, invited us to their house in Kolkata for just a few days. I was the most excited one so I took the planning on myself. We decided, with the owners, that we will come on Friday and leave on Sunday. To know what to see there I had googled some interesting places in Kolkata and there were like twenty and more. I started packing at 9 o’clock. We got ready and went out at 11:30 am. We took a rickshaw to Bolpur Train Station. There we took our tickets which were quite expensive. (80Rs for a person. Children to 5 years old free. And from 5 to 12 years old only half price.) My mom was a little worried because the ticket was from Bolpur Train Station to Howrah, not Kolkata. But everyone else was convincing us that, that was a good direction.

We had still some time till the train arrives, so we went to drink some chai and eat some cakes. After that, we took our train that came at 1pm. On our train, we met 2 Indian girls. They were singing. The one in the yellow dress had a really strong and beautiful voice, she was confident. The second one had a nice voice but she was shyer which made her voice weak.

They used two flat stones to make a rhythm while singing. The way they were using stones was really incredible.

After that, came two guys, one singing and playing on an instrument and the second just playing on a flute. They had played for 5 minutes in which they gave quite a show.

We were supposed to be in Kolkata after 3 hours but it took at least 4 and half an hour.

We got to Howrah train station at 7:30pm. There we went to ‘Pre Paid Taxi Count’, where we took a taxi at a cheap price. The way the taxi looked was reminding British style. Our ride took almost an hour. We headed to our owners’ work office in which they made hand works.

Our ride started with a view of the bridge construction which later we discovered to be the big Howrah Bridge. It was amazing. On the way, we had many more views to admire. Later on when it became dark. The blue lights were switched on. It was beautiful.

After all the way, we were very tired but we still had to meet our friends. They were waiting for us in their office. There, we saw beautiful hand works that were made by women working for our friends.

Afterwards we went to our owners’ house where we finally relaxed.


To Kolkata, Day 2

To Kolkata, Day 3


More about Kolkata:


Castle of Queen Victoria

Indian Museum

The Great Banyan Tree and Botanical Garden

Related posts