Papillons beans – moth – is known in Europe as Indian beans.
Although it is found here less often than other types of legumes – only in some regions of India. This particular recipe comes from the Marathi language region – the states of Maharastra and Goa.
Usal is characterized by a strong aroma obtained thanks to the use of spices, especially a goda masala – a traditional spice mix in the Maharastra cuisine. Here I give the recipe with proportional proportions of spices – instead of the goda masala.
Moth beans can be replaced, in this dish, with commonly available mung beans, or red moong bean.
|Moth bean/Moong bean/Red moong bean||1 cup|
- Soak the bean – just 6 to 8 hours
- Rinse, drain and leave for another 6 to 8 hours, spreading in a large, uncovered germination dish.
- Before preparing the dish, rinse the beans several times and then dry.
|red onion||1 big|
|fresh ginger||1 piece - in size of a finger|
- Cut vegetables into thick cubes
- Grind in a blender, put aside
You can also chop them finely. Grate ginger on a grater and add without blending at the same time as vegetables.
|green chili pepper||2 pieces|
|mustard seeds||1 table spoon|
|kumin||1/2 table soon|
|asafoteida||1/2 table soon|
|curry lives||1 branch|
|chili powder||1 table spoon|
|turmeric powder||1 table spoon|
|coriander powder||1 table spoon|
|black cardamom powder||1/2 table soon|
|green cardamom powder||1/2 table soon|
|bay leaf||1 piece|
|fresh coriander||few branches|
- Cut the chilli pepper in small circles.
- Put the mustard seeds on the hot oil, fry on medium heat, stirring for a few seconds – mustard should bounce and change color to gray. It’s best if you cover the pan.
- Then add kumin, curry leaves, chopped chilli and asafetoida. Fry constantly stirring for about 15 seconds – the leaves should become crisp.
- Then add the chopped/blended vegetables and fry for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add grounded spices: cardamom, coriander, turmeric and chilli powder and bay leaf and mix.
- Add soacked bean, mix. Add 2 glasses of water, and boil. Leave on a low heat for about 20 minutes. Control the water amount in the dish and add it if necessary. Usal should have a medium density.
- After put salt, mix and taste.
- Add the greens
Serve with rice or paratha bread . On a separate plate, serve thinly chopped onion, chilli and chopped coriander, which blends well with freshly mixed food.