Methi bhaji or methi sabji – vegetables with fenugreek – is a standard dish prepared during the Navratri festival.
If the dish is called sabji, it does not mean a colorful bouquet of vegetables. In India, the main vegetable is potato and onion, followed by – in the frequency – other vegetable plants … Fenugreek is a popular vegetable in all India sold both in bunches in greengrocers, as well as dried in sachets.
Recipe for 2 servings:
|fresh fenugreek||1 bunch|
|potato||4 big / about 1 kg|
|green chili||2 pieces|
|fresh coconut||quarter of 1 small nut|
|oil||3 spoon for frying|
- Clean the vegetables, cut the onion into cubes. Chili and garlic in small cubes. Potatoes also in cubes. Fenugreek chop finely. The coconut on a thick grater.
- Onions fry in hot oil until glazed.
- Reduce the heat and add the chopped garlic and chili, stirring for about 10 seconds. Then add curcuma and asaofetida, mix.
- Now add the potatoes and mix. Fry about 7 minutes while stirring every now and then.
- Then add chopped fenugreek and salt. Mix and reduce the fire.
- Now potatoes with spices should steam under the cover. The steaming time depends on the size of the cube – about 15 minutes. You should check if the dish does not burn, if there is not much steam, add some water.
- When you decide that the potatoes are ready, add grated coconut pulp. Coconut can not boil and stew – if there is water in potatoes, you should first evaporate it and then add coconut.
- Mix well and fry for a while.
- When serving add some fresh fenugreek leaves.
Originally in the period of Navratri methi sabji is sered with the kuttu atta roti, i.e. with roti made of buckwheat flour.