Gajar means carrot in Hindi, Bangla and Nepali.
This is a very unique dessert, very simple to prepare, popular in all of northern India and Nepal. We got to know it in West Bengal.
Indians say that it is impossible to not add ghee to halva, as it will not have the proper aroma. Cardamon is added only by some Indians, many do halva without spices at all. The richer flavor will provide a mixture of spices called Garam Masala – for such a quantity of carrot adds 2 tsp during frying. Some also add chopped nuts, mostly cashew nuts.
|Cardamom Powder||2 tsp|
|Cuetd Cashew Nuts||2 tbsp|
|Garam Masala |
- Grate the carrots on a thick grater.
- Put ghee on pan. When hot add carrot and fry until light, stirring occasionally.
- Add sugar, cardamom and other desired spices.
- When carrots absorb all the fat, you can add more ghee or butter and fry further, stirring occasionally.
- When the fat disappears completely, add one glass milk. Add raisins. Mix to evaporate the milk, then add another glass … The rule is as follows: the more milk you give, more delicious it will be
Put in a bowl and serve with cashew nuts, hot or cold.