This dish of daal prepared from the green moong bean comes from the state of Gujarat.
Gujarat is known for its huge salt places, people work there, with no access to traditional fruits and vegetables. Maybe that’s why this special life-giving bean got so popular there.
Green bean moong is prepared when you want to increase the level of iron. Moong has a taste similar to deciduous vegetables, such as lettuce or spinach. Mixed with tomato and a little amount of spice is perfect with fish.
Ingredients to soak beans:
|green moong bean||250 gram|
|tej patta||1 piece|
- Mung beans rinse thoroughly several times. Pour three times the volume of water and let it sit for two hours.
- Then pour out the water and pour in a clean quantity of three times the volume of soaked beans; for cooking in a pressurized bottle, double the volume is enough.
- Cook for about 30 minutes under cover. Hindu pressure pots count this process “for two whistles”, which equals about 17 minutes of cooking.
Ingredients for 6 servings:
|cumin||1 table spoon|
|asafoteida powder||1 pinch|
|coriander powder||1 table spoon|
|turmeric powder||1 table spoon|
|red chili powder||1/2 table spoon|
|lemon juice||from 1/2 lemon|
|fresh bunch of coriander/dill/parsley||2 spoon of cuted|
- At this time, cut the tomatoes into cubes. Onion on small cubes.
- Prepare spices.
- Start frying spices. Preheat 2 tablespoons of oil and put jeera seeds (cumin). When they get a good – they will change the color to a much brighter one – you can add asafoteida. Fry 30 seconds while stirring.
- Now put on the onion and fry till glassy.
- When it is soft, add tomatoes and other ground spices – coriander, turmeric, red chili powder and salt. Fry together in a pan for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Now add the cooked mung and 1 glass of water. Steam under cover for about 10 minutes. Bean should be very soft, but not disintegrate. The consistency of the sauce will change from a watery to a slightly thicker one.
- Squeeze and strain lime juice. Add at the very end when the daal is ready.
Serve with rice and fish.